On a ship to Canada

I had a nice afternoon, spending some of it trying to find info and pictures of the ships that my Mom and Dad were on when they crossed the Atlantic to start lives in a strange country where they didn't even speak the language. My Dad came to Canada in 1958, and my Mom in 1960. Both arrived via Pier 21 in Halifax, although my Mom carried on to Montreal. From there they traveled by train to Alberta (separatly). My Dad travelled on the Seven Seas and my Mom on the Ryndam. I'm writing this down because I don't ever want to forget it.
When I spent much of my time at home last year I grilled my parents about where they were born, why on earth they moved to Canada and left everyone they loved behind, and other details about their lives and lives of our relatives. It's amazing how little we sometimes really know about our parents, forgetting that they had an incredibly fascinating and adventurous life long before we came to be.
Anyways, I love finding out all these little tidbits about my parents, and I know my Dad loves telling them. I write down almost everything he tells me so that one day I can tell my kids and hopefully they'll tell theirs. They might not be my memories, but they're a part of me too.

1 Comments:
Ha ha, the hoops you must jump through... Thanks though, that ship the Seven Seas that Dad travelled on. You should see all the stuff I found for them!
Post a Comment
<< Home