Monday, February 12, 2007

What happens when you speak before you think

Oh lordy, the maintenance supervisor is on top of my shit list. I just need to vent so bare with me.

On the weekend, one of our undergrad residents came in because her ex-boyfriend had broken down the door and was sitting in her apartment and wouldn't leave. We told her to call the cops, which she did and got a restraining order placed on him.

Fast forward to today.

The MS (maintenance supervisor) heads up to her apartment to inspect the damage and give her an estimate on what it will cost to replace her door. He then comes into the office and over to where my female coworker and I are having a conversation.

He tells us that she's fixing the door privately, and we needn't charge her. Then he says that he thinks she's back together with him because some guy was in her apartment.

Then he comes out with, "you know, women are stupid".

At once I can feel the blood rushing to my face, which is what happens when I am livid. I said "Excuse me? You should watch what you say, given your audience."

MS (in a pathetic attempt to backtrack a little): "Well, not women, but girls, they're stupid because they stay in abusive relationships."

Me (with great restraint): "That doesn't make them stupid, that's also a pretty offensive generalization to make."

MS: "Well, what do you call it when someone stays when they're getting hit? I'd call it stupid."

Me: "You have no idea what a person is going through unless you're that person, and who knows what circumstances have lead her, or him for that matter, to stay in that situation. Many physically abusive relationships start out as verbally abusive, and the person has had their self-esteem reduced or even destroyed."

MS: "Well whatever, I don't get it."

At this point I just walked away. God, wtf is wrong with this man?!

I officially loathe him.

1 Comments:

Blogger cylindricine said...

i weep for the world reading passages like the one you wrote.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home