Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Constant Gardner

Wow. What an emotional movie. Watched this flick last night and loved it. Since I suck at movie reviews and Megan pretty much summed up my feelings in her blog today I thought I would just quote her (is that ok M? :)

Flash!topian once had this post, called I will focus my righteous anger, wherein she outlined five topics about which she would be upset, and would work to change. Thus, narrowing the things she spent energy on and avoiding burnout. I think I'm in need of something like that. Just finished watching The Constant Gardner, and there's this scene, with a small African child running alongside a plane (this isn't giving anything away) and a rebel tribe is attacking and the plane is evacuating relief workers, but can't take any other civilians. And I just thought, what the fuck are we doing? Why even bother getting up in arms about the details of how politics are being run in this country, about legislation being passed at the state or federal level, when things like this are happening? How can I expend energy being all uppity about a woman's right to choose when this (albeit fictional) child probably won't live to age ten? And I start to throw my hands up in the air and give up because it's all just too much. But there's another sentiment, echoed throughout the movie, about helping the one person who is in front of you and who needs help and whom you are capable of helping. So I guess I'll just try to hang on to that...

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Course it's ok! How flattering!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Cor said...

You're so much more eloquent than I, maybe I'll steal your posts more often. ;)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home